[TowerTalk] SteppIR and HOA's

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and HOA's
From: Bill Straw via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 17:44:24 +0000 (UTC)
After one season now of contesting with a 2-el SteppIR I'm happy with it ! I
really wanted to move my station to my mountain cabin, in the midst of 120
other cabins builtthere for "the view". Honestly! Tough crowd, tough HOA (with
an architectural committee) for a ham wanting to put up a yagi. The next thing
up from a rotatable dipole is the 2-el SteppIR. That is as far as I was going
to push it.Even a small C-3 (with 6 visible elements) seemed like a stretch. I
gathered some actual photos off of the internet, had drawings made of the
antenna and the cabin. Most non-hams have mental images of huge towers and big
yagis. The reaction to the 2-el waspositive and quick. The tower/yagi can only
be extended for contests, and the yagi has to betaken off of the tower May 1 -
Oct 1 for the busy summer season. But the wires in the trees arealways there
and ready to go :) Photos on QRZ.com 73, Bill KO7AA on Mt Lemmon in southern
Arizona