[TowerTalk] "...//..winds here in the winter that are pretty bad."

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "...//..winds here in the winter that are pretty bad."
From: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 12:06:28 -0600
My "war story":When we lived in Casper, Wyo., the Chinooks blew
regular...and a lot. Then, on my trusty Heathkit wind gauge, I have seen,
regular gusts of 50-70 mph. The elements on my TH7DXX and Cushcraft  2 ele
40 would whip like long fishing poles. Never a break or bent element.

Did have another ham who lost the tip section of one element on his TH-6.
Probably landed in Nebraska, somewhere, as we never were able to locate the
missing piece.

I kept the rotor repair places in business repairing my Tailtwisters. I kept
1-2 for backup while one was in for repair. Damage was my fault for turning
the stack while the chinooks were blowing. The wind would take-over and stop
the antenna where they wanted it to stop. Sorta'  played havoc with the
Tailtwister  brake trying to stop the rotation, eh...

de Mike, K5UO  (Wyo:  NS7Z)

Hi Brian

Don lives just up the coast from me, and we get the winds here in the winter
that are pretty bad.  Not like the hurricanes you guys get in Florida, but
we have at least one storm a year with winds of 90-100 mph.  Cape Blanco,
which is about 50 miles south of me, gets winds of

120 occasionally.  It's just that they don't call them hurricanes here, just
'a storm.' 73 Tom W7WHY