Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelds
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:36:16 -0400

I think that's why they are called one shots. I normally buy them a carton at a time. They are much cheaper when you only do a few at a time compared to the multi use. I just put them up on a shelf in the shop and once in a while I may use a couple, or the local ham club has a need for a few.

The multi use cad welds use a carbon block/mold which is kinda pricey, but you can purchase the powder in bulk and save money when doing a lot of welds. The carbon blocks are too easy to loan and lose track of who had them last

Yes, the one shots will ignite without the fine powder, but I used a Oxy Acetylene torch with a 00 or 000 tip. Just don't get the tip too close to the powder, or it too becomes a "one shot". A small arc, or even a "sparkler" will do it, but "USE CAUTION", a welding helmet, and welding gloves. It's extremely bright and nothing will put that fire out safely. It will burn right through concrete. I really do not recommend the alternative methods of ignition.

 73

Roger (K8RI)