Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding/Bonding Lessons Learned

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding/Bonding Lessons Learned
From: Mike via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 18:54:27 -0400

This past fall...I put in 18 ground rods when updating my grounding system
and used the cad welds..I purchased them from K7FP along with a really nice
 entrance panel...I had a problem igniting a few of them ...he sent me
replacement charges and they worked fine...

The ones I had a problem with...I didn't want to try black powder..or
Pyrodex (both RS and select)...of which I have  for my rifles etc...I took  out
some Winchester 571 for grins and it worked on one but the others not ...I
did not try any other smokeless powder...The only others I had were red and
blue  dot.......and also had an issue with burn thru ...I then used stuff
called  babbit rite and stuffed it around the bottom of the ceramic tube and
the  rubber...not another problem...You can use duct seal or stuff the
electric  company uses to seal wires to entrance panels...used to call it dumb
dumb...not  sure the real name...but use something to seal the rubber to the
rod and ceramic  and eliminate that issue.

I think Chris talked to his supplier and said that there had been some
issues with ignition of some charges in the past...The correct thing to do
would be to separate the powders...I believe that during shipping that they get
 mixed with vibration etc. causing issues...but who am I to say...I have a
few more to ignite this spring...if it ever gets here....all the snow isn't
gone  yet and lake Erie is still full of ice...

The one shots are the only way to go...I am impressed with the way the
connections look after knocking off the ceramic body...they will be good till
long after I am under the dirt or wherever the wife puts me!

Good luck and have fun!

73,

Mike W2GR

In a message dated 3/31/2015 4:11:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,