Re: [TowerTalk] Camouflage Painting of Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Camouflage Painting of Towers
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 03:28:22 -0400
If you are in a rural setting (I'm on the edge of a rural subdivision) and your towers and antennas stick above the trees (mine do) be wary of the liability with crop dusters. If you put effort into making the tower and antenna invisible and a plane spreading bug killer hits the tower and antennas, juries have awarded huge sums in wrongful death suits. Wind farm put their evaluation instruments on towers just shy of 200 feet to avoid many issues including lighting.

A crop duster hit one and a jury awarded his heirs millions. I believe (without looking it up) it was on the order of 6 million for a wrongful death. even though the tower met all FAA and FCC regulations. It was presented as being greedy by staying below 200 feet. Think of what it'd be like to have to register our antennas and keep them lighted with back up lighting and the paperwork involved for every change. If it meets regulations, that should be good enough.

So be careful about reducing the visible signature of tower and antennas above the trees. When they are spraying oin this area, I stop by the staging area to remind them I'm still here. I've seen them go around my tower and the top antennas were at 130 feet.

I say this as I'm right on the center line of the GPS06 app inside the FAF, but far enough out that I could legally go 190 feet.

Towers are almost invisible except to those who don't like them. Few will be placated regardless of what ever measures you take. (Fortunately a few will). From an airplane they are extremely difficult to see. Actually, highly reflective paint is use to make them blend as the foliage is reflected from the surface.

Some where I have a photo I saved from the internet. A guy painted a section of tree trunk making it look like the upper trunk was floating in air. The comment of the MonsterIR floating in air made me think of that. From the proper location it really appears as if there is nothing but 5 or 6 feet of air holding that tree up.
Wish I could find the link.

73

Roger  (K8RI)