Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Installing DB36 atop 75ft guyed tower?

To: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Installing DB36 atop 75ft guyed tower?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 09:04:45 -0700
At 17.5 sq ft and 160 lbs a DB36 is a lot of antenna. There are several ways for it to get to the top of the tower:

1. crane - easiest & fastest if you have access and are willing to pay for an hour of crane time - a recent local LM354 tower lift then lift and attach a DB18E, was $400. I have a quote for my 140' R65 lift, 5 hours with a 160' 6 ton crane, $1k. A large sign truck might be available for a 70' lift at less than $400.

2. boom lifts are available to 100' from rental yards. You and antenna and tools in the bucket must weigh less than the (usual - check it) 500# bucket rating. A one day rental for an 86' one here cost me about $800 including delivery and pickup. An insurance binder might be required if you aren't a bonded contractor. A 40' lift will easily reach the top of a nested crank up's mast and are cheaper and easier to rent. An advantage of a boom lift is the ability to work on problems out on the boom or elements without taking down the antenna. Nice when I found a boom guy was slipping. I made a steel bracket to carry my 40m beam safely on the bucket on a 40 footer and very carefully and slowly mated the boom to the mast on an HDX589. The antenna was always secured and I never left the bucket. Also, when you forgot something, or have the mast to boom plate on the wrong side like I did, a ride in the bucket is a lot faster, easier, and safer than a climb.

3. side hoist. Drop one guy one at a time, with mates slacked and hoist the antenna boom vertical up the side of the tower. Tailing lines and handlers are needed, three are ideal to keep the elements out of the other guys and boom slightly off the tower, and you need to figure out how to get the tag lines out on the elements off. You will need rigging on the mast to tip the antenna over and stabilize it while bolting it to the mast.

4. crank up - 17.5 sq ft may require an upsized crank up. UST will upsize sections , eg HDX589 becomes HDX689; a HDX572 and HDX672, but prices go up significantly. The antenna goes up side hoist (boom can be horizontal since there are no guys), crane, or boom lift. A 160# antenna plus weight of a strong enough rotator and mast adds a lot of load if you want to tilt up the tower with the antenna on the mast. I'd judge that can NOT be done for a DB36 with the UST tower raising fixture from the load I experienced on a 589 with an Orion rotator and 20' mast installed. A crane can lift it easily if attached near the top of the tower and a ladder or short climb with the sections blocked can disconnect the crane.

5. Tram - two types:
A. The pros use a steel cable that runs from the tower to an anchor point that keeps the catenary above the guys of concern. With a strong mast the attachment can be on the mast above the antenna mounting point. NEVER use a gin pole, they can't withstand much side force. A carriage or for smaller antennas a pulley runs on this cable with a hoist rope to the carriage, to the tower, thru a pulley, and to manpower or a winch or power capstan at the tower base. For a 160# antenna a capstan winch is probably needed or another pulley attached to the tower base to a vehicle (which has some hazards). Again, rigging is needed to manage the antenna getting from the carriage to the mast. 500# chain hoists (lever or chain loop) are a good way to manage something as large as a DB36. They have short head room, fine inching capability, and shouldn't ever be set to freewheel. You never want to try manhandling anything heavier than 30# or so or you and the antenna might depart the tower together. K7LXC's Up the Tower has a nice drawing of how this is done. B. Two ropes are rigged as a bridle to a spreader on the mast. The lines are above the guys of concern. The antenna elements or boom ride on this as a third line to a pulley on the mast pulls the antenna up. In either case the center of gravity needs to be kept centered between the bridle lines. Some tag lines are used to keep the antenna centered, but this is a difficult and tricky alternative.

Big antennas require very careful planning for each stage of the lift - how am I going to get from A to B; B to C, etc. safely with the load under control at all times? Do I have a ground crew that understands the process, is physically capable, and communication is clear and clearly heard at all times, etc.? Do I have all the parts, spares for dropped nuts or tools? Is everybody wearing a brain bucket and the appropriate safety gear? What is the backout plan if something isn't right - you can be sure of that? Is the physical endurance of the workers up to the job? Are the tower parts, guys, mast, etc. able to safely handle the loads the lifting will place on them? Is the wind ok at the top of the tower? Any bees or wasps looking for some fun? etc.

There may be other techniques, but these are ones I've participated in.

Grant KZ1W