[TowerTalk] Concrete cure and my LM470

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete cure and my LM470
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 00:09:53 -0400
When we poured the base for my LM470 (a month ago) we went a little over size at roughly 4 X 4 X 7' D, or about 5 yards. It was a stiff 3500 psi mix. A small pile kept its shape until cured. At the first week in April it was hitting low to upper 60s day time and upper 20s at night. The water table was only about 6" below the surface. With 5 yards, the temps, and high water table, the contractor figured it was fine.

We poured, tamped, rough troweled and let cure. No water, no cover. I used the words "roughly" and "about" as one of the laborers got a little too close to the 7' deep hole. Two others were close enough to grab him, but we had to lift the top form and dig the excess dirt back out. As they weren't masons and we weren't trying to make it pretty, there was a bit of slop that had to be broken up and some excess that I don't think we can remove or cover. Not nearly as nice as the base for my 45G.

I'm afraid the tower may bee a bit too close to the woods. It's too close to the shop to be able to use a tilt plate, but it's done. If I lose the antenna, then I'll need another base made and hole dug. If another is required, I'll hire it done instead of doing it myself. Unfortunately the only really desirable location was where we hit the field tile behind the shop. Going West toward the peat might require a much larger base and a way of preserving my wife's white fence and flower bed, but I could use a tilt plate with the antenna pointed North instead of East. If it's not raining (90% chance) tomorrow, we are going to install the tower on the base.

Ah, well, at least I've had a pile of dirt to serve as a back stop for target practice for the last month..

Roger (K8RI)

---