Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a TB4 bearing - need not be pretty

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a TB4 bearing - need not be pretty
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:31:16 -0500
Prime Bearing in L.A. at 213-375-4849 has good bearings at reasonable prices. All the hams in my zip-code have purchased bearings with grease zerks from them and are happy with quality and price. Both of us are pleased and will buy from them again. The bearings we both bought are mounted in very stout cast iron carriers with 4 mounting holes making it easy to match drill holes to mount them, if not supplied.

My first bearing from them has bearing part number UCF210-31 and is 1 15/16 inches to fit a particular mast material. I will soon be ordering a couple more for the 2 inch DOM mast for my SteppIR DB42 as I intend to use two bearings to eliminate side loads on the rotator. I recommend painting or otherwise inhibiting rust on any part of the bearing assembly not painted and painting the painted part can't hurt.

I also recommend placing a water deflector as has been suggested on this reflector previously. A rubber boot affixed to the mast and slipped down next to the bearing offers pretty good protection, is cheap, and easy to install (prior to installing the mast.) These "boots" are available at the big box stores or plumbing supply houses and are intended for waterproofing roof vent penetrations. There are other methods using other materials that have been discussed here as well.

Patrick