Re: [TowerTalk] Correction: Need documentation for Rohn HW (35G /Motorol

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Correction: Need documentation for Rohn HW (35G /Motorola tower)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 20:40:57 -0700
On Tue,6/9/2015 1:33 PM, Dan Cisson wrote:
The "official name"of it from Rohn,,, was HW ...Made exclusely for Motorola in the 60's.. It is on a 15 inch face

Right.

,,, and should be treated as Rohn 25G...
DO NOT treat it as 45,, it is not that strong.. the leg diameter and gauge is same as 25G The zig zag bracing is same as 25G

I have 5 sections of it -- yes, HW is the right name, but it's often called Rohn 35 because it's between 25 and 45. BUT -- I'm not so sure that you're correct about the construction. It's been a while, but I think I recall that the verticals and cross bracing a a bit more robust than 25, but certainly less than 45. The wider leg spacing makes it more robust than 25. It's quite stout stuff -- I have 5 sections of it, 4 ft of the bottom section in the pour, with 12 ft of an 20 ft mast sticking out above it holding a 3-el 20 and a 4-el 15. My tower guy climbs a lot of towers, and after hanging both antennas, told me it doesn't need to be guyed. There's nothing it could hit if it fell, and there's a lot of concrete, so I took his advice. ) He says, BTW, that the wider leg spacing makes it a lot more fun to climb.

73, Jim K9YC