Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Homebrew tower

To: J Chaloupka <boltsnutspins@yahoo.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Homebrew tower
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 16:48:37 -0700
Of course it is possible to weld up any set of steel parts you like, but the challenge is to *design* something that will handle the loads and not fall down. So, without some *engineering* analysis tools and an understanding of steels, it seems to me that the "homebrew tower" is a dangerous undertaking.

For those inclined to make some effort to design something safe and effective, I have found tools on the web that analyze simple structures. For some tools that are particularly useful, see http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/statics-t_63.html Simple beams, masts, cantilevers, etc. can be analyzed with a variety of load conditions. Getting a used copy of an engineering "Statics" book would be a good idea. My college text http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Mechanics-engineers--Part-Statics/dp/B0000CLFGR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435533660&sr=8-2&keywords=harry+nara $4 on amazon, free ship with Prime. It's mostly high school geometry.

A tapered welded lattice structure is something in an entirely different league from an analysis perspective and a high power software tool such as finite elements analysis is needed. Backyard engineering NOT.

Re "black steel (iron)" pipe being better quality than galvanized, not according to the specifications: (from McMaster web site)

Galvanized steel pipe nipples and pipe provide very good corrosion resistance in low-pressure plumbing applications. Also known as Schedule 40, all have welded construction, so there's a weld bead on the inside. Meet ASTM A53 and A733, as well as ANSI/ASME B1.20.1.

Black steel is the most popular choice for pipe nipples and pipe in low-pressure plumbing applications. Also known as Schedule 40, all have a welded construction, so there's a weld bead on the inside. Meet ASTM A53 and A733, as well as ANSI/ASME B1.20.1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASTM_A53 ASTM A733 is for finished pipe nipples & B1.20.1 is for pipe threads Chinese ripped free A53 spec at http://www.hysteelpipe.com/pipe-standards/astm-a53-standard-free/

After reading the A53 spec, I stand corrected: although there are several variants, the steel is graded and suitable for structual use, but who knows what is on the racks of the big box stores? I also note per wikipedia that DOT now requires a drawn A53 pipe (DOM) so that provides more consistent properties. It is also mentioned that A500 higher strength steel is often the choice in structural applications for round pipe. A500 is the common steel spec for square tube and what I see on the racks at my suppliers and what I see being used if a building is being earthquake retrofitted.

Prep of black iron pipe for painting is a real b*tch since it often has hard to remove coatings. My local steel supplier stocks plain steel pipe, it appears to be machine sandblasted which is a very good surface for adherence of paint, and there is nothing to contaminate the weld.

Threaded couplings are a bad idea as the thickness of the pipe wall is substantially reduced and thus the pipe's tensile strength. In a three legged structure, wind loads can be 100% of max tension in any leg so staggering the couplings is useless.

Grant KZ1W