Re: [TowerTalk] Worm Gears

To: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Worm Gears
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 20:53:41 -0700
Thanks much for that.
Where online did you buy the stuff?
Does Hub City sell it?

Rick N6RK

On 7/1/2015 3:51 PM, Robert Harmon wrote:
Hi Rick,

It needs to be a specific synthetic gear lube.
I called Hub City and they recommend their 460 PAG for worm gears.
They said that the Mobil 1 Glycol 460 is what they are using.
My Hub City worm gear box takes over a quart so I am ordering 2 quarts.
BTW,  they should not be filled to the top.  About 30 % air space should be
left for thermal expansion.
Heres some Hub City info on worm gear lubes, (below)
and below that the specs on the Mobil 1 460 they are talking about.
I am ordering mine on line, not stocked anywhere locally.

Hub City worm gear lube instruction sheet
http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/LI-WG-S-D-071814.pdf
<http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/LI-WG-S-D-071814.pdf>

Their recommended Mobil 1 synthetic lube
http://www.wardieh.com/admin/document/(2786f39d8352b23e50cf17c424e017c5).pdf
<http://www.wardieh.com/admin/document/(2786f39d8352b23e50cf17c424e017c5).pdf>

Bob
K6UJ