[TowerTalk] Tower by Chimney

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower by Chimney
From: "Wilson" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 11:49:38 -0400
If that’s the most reasonable place available, why not use it?
So what if it’s not perfect?
I have a 40’ 25-G on my 27’ chimney, burn a good woodstove all winter, and
smoke rarely even goes near the tribander.
The rotator is near the bottom, so I can get to it, if necessary.
Where the coax goes by the top of the chimney, it’s in 1/2” EMT, just in case.
The long (30’) mast is 2” EMT, works great.
Used 25-G is cheap, if you look around.
SO put it up and have some fun and if something goes wrong have some more fun
fixing it!

I used a Rohn house bracket and 2” Al angle on the front and back of the
chimney.
The angles are clamped to the chimney by threaded rod on each end.
The chimney is rock, so I cut some pads out of an old tire and put them between
the metal and rock.
The chimney is good size, roughly 2X4 ft at the top, with a block core, so
pretty strong.
WL