[TowerTalk] Freight charges when shipping towers

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Freight charges when shipping towers
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 11:46:12 -0500
I am looking for an economical way to ship a complete tower package about 900 miles (one-way). I have created four "bundles" of nestled sections, base stubs, rotator plate, TB-3, and mast. The entire weight is slightly over 400 pounds of aluminum and steel.

What seems out of whack is the freight classification (250 or 300) and the resulting freight charges in the $1,200 to $1,500 price range. I have called numerous freight companies and agents and this is pretty consistent. There are also "up-charges" for no loading dock, etc. that are added on as well.

Short of loading the tower into a pickup and driving it there myself, how have you dealt with the freight industry so as not to break the bank?

FWIW, these are 10 foot sections and the outside sections are 30" on a side, open lattice, welded aluminum.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN