Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ226 / SARK110

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ226 / SARK110
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 18:39:29 -0700
On Wed,7/8/2015 6:22 AM, Roger Parsons via TowerTalk wrote:
I have a SARK110. It is beautiful!

Here's what I've been using for about 3 years.

 http://sdr-kits.net/VNWA3_Description.html

Note that it's a full Vector NETWORK Analyzer, and that it goes to 1.3 GHz! I have the 3E, which has a two-channel USB sound card. All the processing is done in the computer. The 3E gets its power from the USB bus. It saves data in Touchstone format, so it can be imported by modeling programs like SimSmith and AC6LA's ZPlots and TLDetails.

Because it's a full NETWORK analyzer, you can do a LOT more with it. You can, for example, measure and tune filters while simultaneously looking at the frequency response, the VSWR, and the return loss. You can measure the isolation between antennas, the characteristics of preamps, and so on.

I paid about $720, shipped to my door, with a carrying case and calibration kit. If I were doing it again, I would skip the case. The unit is VERY well supported in a Yahoo Group both by the vendor in the UK and the German prof who designed it. Software and firmware is under continuing development, and has been bug free.

73, Jim K9YC