Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation Questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation Questions
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:36:35 -0700

Here is how I handled that situation:

http://ab7e.com/AB7E_Antenna_Page_2.html

The mast raising fixture sits on a shelf on the tower with the cable running down along side the mast (the hole is wide enough on my shelf), and then attaches near the bottom of the mast using another clamp arrangement (essentially a plate with a loop at the top and a couple of muffler clamps to attach it to the bottom of the mast).

73,
Dave   AB7E

p.s. The cheap Harbor Freight winch, which was rated at 2,000 pounds, literally did self-destruct with one use. The worm gear was made of hardened steel, but the toothed gear was just soft steel and the teeth were almost gone by the time I got the mast up even though I brushed on heavy duty lithium grease every revolution. I replaced it with a Thern winch that actually works.

p.p.s. I don't buy anything from Harbor Freight anymore that needs good steel to survive. I once put a permanent bend into a large Harbor Freight crowbar
using just the force of my own arms.  Such a sad piece of crap ....