Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:41:39 -0500
I just noticed that DX Engineering sells soldering irons, including the
heavy-duty American Beauty models.

John KK9A

To:     "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From:   "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date:   Sun, 26 Jul 2015 16:39:23 -0700

My almost 60 year old trusty soldering iron which I used to solder the
hole and
pin of the UHF connectors went belly up. There is no information on it re
brand
or wattage but I could change tips.

I?m going to have to shop for a new one and that means buying on line
since we
are a long ways from anyplace that carries electronic stuff.

Please, no ?go to crimping? suggestions. I agree it?s a great method but
at my
age I?m not probably going to be doing many more, and I know the process for
soldered UHF connectors.

Would just like some recommendations on soldering irons currently being
used by
some of you for UHF connector soldering that would be available on the
market.
I?ve  a couple of Weller guns and an old low wattage soldering station, but
neither will work well for doing the UHF barrels.

Suggestions welcome,

Don T W7WLL