Re: [TowerTalk] Static Discharge Porcupines?

To: "'Patrick Greenlee'" <patrick_g@windstream.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static Discharge Porcupines?
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 16:34:01 +0000
The purpose of franklin style lightning rods is to provide a preferred point
for the stroke to attach and then provide an easy path to ground for the
current.  There is nothing you can do to 'drain' the charge away since it is
being attracted straight out of the earth by the charge built up at the
bottom of the thundercloud.  The best you can do is provide the sharp point
to initiate a streamer to connect to the downward moving leader and then
keep that current out of your building.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net