Re: [TowerTalk] My Yearly Mistake

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My Yearly Mistake
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:06:46 -0700
On 8/14/15 12:40 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
We were having an off line discussion, but I thought I'd posy my answer
to one.

I have mentioned several times that I never scored 100% on a math test.
Lots of 95s, but I could always count on one dumb mistake and that's
exactly what I did here.  Once I found the mistakes, it was so obvious
that I fail to see how those schooled in mathematics missed it/them.
It's been over 25 years since I graduated and I often hear the median
referred to as the middle value, when in reality it is the middle,
measured value. IOW you first arrange all the measure/observed values in
order of the parameter you are keying on.  Then take the middle
measure/observed variable.  IOW if there are 3 values, you take the
value of the second. If there are 11 measured values. you take the
6th.   What I did was to take the middle value between the minimum and
maximum of the set.  Why?  I don't know.  Minor in math, but brain fart?

Well at least I have my allocated mistake for the year out of the way,
so, I should be spot on for the rest of the year <cough><cough>

At any rate, as you said, we are playing the odds with lightening and we
need to know the likelihood of those outliers.  At first the return Vs
cost is great, but the law of diminishing returns quickly rears its ugly
head where it costs a lot for a little increase in return.

Which is why knowing the distribution, or something like the 95th percentile stroke might be more useful than the median (50th percentile). That makes it more of a "expected value" calculation which is what insurance premiums, etc. are based on.

One thing I do think missing in the ground rod Vs UFER comparisons is
the area covered by the system.  How does that system area compare with
the contact area of the ground rods and UFER contact area once the
desired resistance has been achieved?

It also kind of depends on the objective of the system. Is it to minimize damage to the whole system (or some part)? Is it to minimize personnel hazard? For instance, electrical substations have big grounding grids because they are interested in minimizing the "step potential" (how much voltage difference there is between your feet) in the event of a big fault.

There's also the issue of "availability/mean time to repair" ... a ham might tolerate taking a direct hit, having some small amount of damage in the system, being off the air and being ok with repairing it when the storm is over. An installation for safety-of-life applications (public safety repeater, FAA control tower) in a hard to get to location might want a system that is "can take multiple licks and keep on ticking" .

My general observation is that hams are primarily concerned with "don't blow up the rig" and "don't light the house on fire", "don't blow up the rotator", and, to a lesser degree, "don't break the antenna". (because it's hard to get up the tower to replace the rotator).

so looking at "how well grounded is the tower" probably isn't as important as "what wires/cables/conductors come into the shack" and "how do we minimize voltage differentials within the shack".

After all, airplanes take lightning hits without being grounded.

As hams with out a government budget where monstrous cost over runs are
often tolerated, our auditors/wives are not nearly so forgiving of
estimated costs, let alone, over runs.  <:-)

In corporate America, avoiding cost over runs is a good way to assure
continued employment.

73

Roger (K8RI)