Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain 205BA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain 205BA
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 04:31:04 -0400
I did this with a Hy-Gain 105BA.  The question is are you trying to optimize
on the same boom or use it to build on for a much larger antenna.  At the
end of the day, you are simply buying the hardware at a convenience and
discount vs doing it fully from scratch.  But the actual antenna design is a
completely new antenna.

I turned a 105BA into an 8el 10M yagi on a 40 ft boom, fixed to the tower
aimed at EU.  It's a killer antenna.  I built 3 additional directors and
adjusted the elements on the 105BA to match the model.  Its essentially an
optimized for forward gain 8 el yagi.

The boom extender is 24 ft of 2.5 inch boom with a few feet of 2.25 inch
"coupling" down to the 2 inch supplied boom halves.  A total of 40 ft end to
end with overlap for strength.  It is trussed with small philly on each end
to pull up the slack.

The only mod I did to the 105BA is to further secure the DE insulated
elements vs the flimsy compression of the 105BA design.  I am also using a
different balun.  SWR 2:1 from 28000 - 28800.  OWA is better on 2:1
bandwidth but not as good on gain.

Ed  N1UR