Re: [TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting. com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 18:51:05 +0000
I've had to do similar with a die grinder and a high speed carbide tool. It
really doesn't take all that long compared to, say using a hand file!  In
my limited experience you want a bit that is quite a bit smaller than than
the hole so it doesn't "catch" and run around the edge.   Angle the bit and
take the edges of the hole first and then take out the middle instead of
trying to shave it all off in one go.

73 Don
VE6JY

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com> wrote:

> I had a ¾ inch steel plate made up that will be used to retrofit a HDX589
> base foundation to a HDX572 base.   After giving both bases to the machine
> shop and asking them to make sure all of the holes are exactly the same
> location as the base, some of the holes are 1/8 to ¼ inch off.   I had a
> major issue with this machine shop so I will not take it back for now.
>
> I wanted to see what others have done to grind out holes in thick steel
> plate.
>
> I was looking at the Carbide Burr bits and getting a ¾ inch burr bit to
> see if that would grid enough from the hole so it would then fit the bases.
>
> The holes are pretty close....so I thought grinding them out would be the
> best solution for now.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks....Rich
>
> Rich N7TR