Re: [TowerTalk] Expected VSWR of antenna near the ground

To: doug@dougronald.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Expected VSWR of antenna near the ground
From: "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:11:25 -0400 (EDT)
Yo,

Doug is having fun with tuning a new antenna near the ground. SWR readings are
off.

Doug and all: I recently helped assemble and install a Cushcraft ASL2010 and we
followed the procedure in the manual.
In part/paraphrased it says: Temporarily mount the antenna vertically, with the
longest element at least 1 foot off the ground on non-conductive surface
(wooden box or similar). Guy the antenna vertical with non-conductive line. (Of
course, you remembered to connect a good length of coax to the feed point
balun)....... Keep the antenna away from other objects, esp METAL/other
antennas. Take your readings with analyzer or the transmitter and SWR meter.

This is what we did. 20 meters was off a little bit, but everything else looked
pretty good. When we got it up on the tower, everything fell into place.

BUT, (there is always a BUT) if you're designing/building a homebrew LPDA,
welllllllllll it should still work, unless your figures/design is way off.

As always, YMMV.

73 es gd luck with the project.
K9WN Jake (NOT an antenna GARU)