Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Position in tower

To: "'h.duck'" <h.duck@ameritech.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Position in tower
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 20:22:53 -0600
Howard,

Lower mounting really has advantages for maintenance.

I have a Prop pitch rotor mounted about 4 ft from ground level. I
have 50 ft of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe that runs from the rotor up
thru the tower and out the top. This arraignment allows me to
service the rotor standing on the ground. I fabricated two lateral
bearings made with  1/2 in phenolic plate to keep the shaft
centered. ( A Teflon cutting board works equally well.)

I have a TH-6 about 4 ft above the top of the tower, and a 14 el
2Meter beam up another 10 ft using a typical TV mast. A few ft above
that is a Tri-band (146-223-440) J-Pole made  with copper water
pipe. All the antennas rotate together. I am supporting the mass
with stainless steel aircraft control cable. The top of the support
cable is fixed to the tower approximately 20 ft above the rotor
connection. The bottom end has a turnbuckle bolted to the drive pipe
just above the joint connecting to the rotor shaft. I adjust the
turnbuckle to just lift the assembly so there is no weight  on the
rotor shaft bearing.

I have used the same rotor since early 1960's in three QTH. The
current configuration has been in service since 1997. I consider
myself fortunate, as the only servicing needed has been an
occasional squirt of grease in the gearbox  Zerk fitting.

73, Jim - w5ifp@gvtc.com

Antivirus