[TowerTalk] Hy-gain light duty rotor question/problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy-gain light duty rotor question/problem
From: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 13:48:09 -0600
I have a HyGain AR-303 TV type rotor-probably similar to the Radio Shack,
NTE, and lots of other brands.  Bought it new a few years ago.  I have it
turning a MFJ 10 meter moxon yagi, a MFJ 3 element 6m yagi, and until
recently a Cushcraft 7 element 2 meter yagi.  It was working fine with this
setup.  Like these other light duty rotors, it would get out of
synchronization and I would have to do the turn it both ways to realign it
trick, but then it would get synchronized again.

Recently I replaced the 2 meter yagi with a Cushcraft A270-10S dualband
yagi.  It weighs about the same as the 2 meter yagi did, and it has a
shorter boom.  The only different is that the 2 meter yagi was mounted in
the center of the boom, and the dualband yagi is end mounted.  Now, the
rotor seems to get messed up in its rotation from time to time.  It seems
to get hung up sometimes between the S and E directions, usually when going
counterclockwise-from S to E.  The rotor loops are fine, so that isn't
messing it up, as I said, the only difference is the antenna on the top of
the mast, and it wouldn't do that before.  It is set up correctly, with the
arrows aligned on the rotor when pointed north.  Once it gets hung up, I
can't get it to go fully north from east.

Has anyone seen this problem.  Is having the dualband antenna end mounted
somehow throwing it out of balance during the rotation that a center
mounted antenna didn't?  Any ideas at all?

73 John AF5CC