Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] How to "lock down" wire rope clamps/clips?

To: kr2q@optimum.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] How to "lock down" wire rope clamps/clips?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:54:36 -0800
If wire rope clip nuts loosen it is probably because they aren't installed properly. Check the Crosby publication at http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/Portals/0/docs/manuals/9992320.pdf

Torquing to the correct level and then re-torquing is needed and Crosby even recommends a re-torque after the expected load has been applied. Like most structural bolt-nut assemblies, the proper torque is needed, and then they don't loosen, unless it is a high vibration or thermal cycling application. Then other means are used to prevent loosening, but not the common split ring lockwasher (which is just about useless). Then there is the difference in quality between Chinese clips and forged Crosby or Chicago. And Zn plated vs hot dip galvanized.

Another factor is the wire rope being used and its compressibility, but I don't think a problem with 1x7 EHS. Clips on Phillystran are a bad idea since the plastic cover extrudes (creeps) slowly from under the clip and many re-torquings are needed to cut through to the Kevlar, which is close to steel in modulus of elasticity.

The full strength of the cable is not attainable with wire rope clips, only about 80% in wire rope sizes of interest to amateurs. This and the variability of installation of clips is one reason the vast majority commercial/industrial cables are terminated with Nicopress, swaged, Crosby sockets, grips, or taper lock fittings. Many are explained in the Crosby pdf.

The nylon in Nylocks does degrade from UV, unless the UV resistant versions are used. It helps to install them so UV exposure in minimized, which is nut down. Structural bolts are usually installed nut up so it is more obvious if they fall out. For antenna assembly there aren't many reasonable choices other than Nylocks.

All things considered I think wire rope or Phillystran grips are the way to go instead of clips.

Electrical tape would be useless to prevent loosening. Red (271) Locktite installed properly might work well, but is essentially a permanent lock.

Grant KZ1W