Re: [TowerTalk] Oil for Dummy Load

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Oil for Dummy Load
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 10:58:41 -0800
On 11/28/15 9:25 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
My Cantenna-type dummy load developed a pinhole leak in the can, and all
the mineral oil drained out.  I have several gallons of clean (unused)
peanut oil left over from Thanksgiving.  Is there any reason not to use
this instead? From internet sources, the flash point appears to be
higher than mineral oil.

It will spoil. You could probably add some form of preservative to prevent that.

You probably aren't worrying so much about high voltage standoff, so the the water content isn't a big deal.

Another issue is the viscosity. if you're expecting thermally driven flow, having a different viscosity can change that. If you're going for short bursts, and just using the oil for thermal mass.

Real insulating oil is mineral oil, often with a preservative.