Re: [TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 00:06:05 +0000 (UTC)
Finding FREE transformer oil only a couple of
miles away made thoughts of substituting anything
else cease. All I did was call my electric
utility's transformer shop. I s'pose if I couldn't
quickly track it down, or if they didn't want to
give me a gallon, I would've bought a gallon from
MFJ (pn MFJ-21) for $30.

The problem of overheating the 90W Globar (pn
886SP) went away by not pumping more than 100W
into it. If testing above that level is needed,
I use my free scrap parts homebrew dry DL that
can handle 1500W (100% D/C) all day... unless
I run out of cooling air. ;)

BTW, Henry Radio (http://stores.ebay.com/Henry-Radio)
and others sell flange-mounted RF resistors and
terminators for reasonable cost. Right now, I
see a 50 ohm 800W terminator offered for $50
including shipping. Add a heatsink and fan,
and you're in business. :)

vy 73 es gl,
Bryan WA7PRC
http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-dummy