Re: [TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load

To: maflynn@theflynn.org, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 00:40:50 -0500
Its MSDS lists it as non hazardous. The only difference for food grade AFAIK is the handling.
Why it goes as hazmat is beyond me.

I used a lot of Dow Derakane Vinyl Ester Resin. It originally cost about $30 a gallon. You could get 5 gallon samples dirt cheap from Dow, but never ever tell them it was for an airplane. It was reclassified and had hazmat shipping. Still came UPS, but now it's $80 a gallon. The resin was a very low viscosity compared to epoxy so a fiberglass cloth cloth with a much denser weave could be used. The promoter and catalyst were things you didn't want to mix. Nasty results.

It had lots of possibilities for antennas, but the resin had a very short shelf life. Refrigeration really helped.

As for comparability, with organic lubricants, it's a no go. It quickly forms silicon dioxide SiO2 (powered quartz) which is very abrasive. I don't know for sure, but I doubt it would be a good idea to mix with organic oils

73

Roger (K8RI)