Re: [TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:45:04 -0500
Fortunately for me I've never needed to work solo, but if I did, I'd be thinking along these lines (if the load is more than you can comfortably handle with brute force):

Pull your load almost up to where you need it, tie it off.

Climb tower with a cable puller (come-along) and *rope grab*. A rope grab is commonly used by tower climbers as part of a temporary fall arrest system on towers with no permanent safety climb system. Of course you will need a rope grab sized for your rope. In the safety industry rope grabs are usually sized for 5/8" rope, but for this purpose will work well on 1/2" rope. For 3/8" I believe there are various devices (not necessarily from the safety industry) that will work, but not sure where to find them.

At the tower top attach your rope grab to the *down* rope. Hook one end of the come-along to the rope grab, the other end to a tower horizontal, and click away to position the load.

-Steve K8LX