Re: [TowerTalk] Dummy Load Rating

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dummy Load Rating
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 15:31:34 -0600
Hi John,

    I have several loads of the same or similar ratings.  I found you can
pro-rate the continuous duty ratings by 2-3X in short key ups, or 50% duty
cycle CW.
    The metric I watch is thermal rise. I try to keep the temp rise in the
range of 25-50C.
    Just remember there is a thermal latency in heat transferring to the
surface, but the inside the load dissipates power the second you hit it with
RF.

    Over a longer period of time something that is blistering hot to the
touch means the resistor element itself is probably in the range of
150-175F.
    I would avoid letting it reach 100C (boils the spit off your finger
tip).  :-(

Mike K9MK