Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] tower spacing

To: w5jmw@towerfarm.net, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] tower spacing
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 13:13:40 -0800
I have three towers about 100' apart. I don't think there is much interaction of the patterns, but haven't really looked for it. Perhaps a bigger hazard is QRO operation coupling into another receiver. For a multi-multi contest I had a temp 6m 800w station and that blew the front end of another 756 Pro III on HF. K3's are near bullet proof, one reason they are so popular for DXpeditions. Obviously the risk is the greatest when yagis are pointed at each other.

For VHF/UHF yagis it might be wise to avoid boom lengths that are resonant on HF. That might be a bit hard to figure out however with the element loading. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect much pattern impact either way HF<->VHF/UHF as close stacks of them are very common.

Good bandpass filters and stubs can prevent most of the overload and intermod problems.

Grant KZ1W