Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] F 12 EF 180 .

To: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] F 12 EF 180 .
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 10:52:50 -0800
Which EF180? 30m is so narrow, and most EF180's so long it should work on all of 30m just by tossing the LL wires and shortening it.

For my EF180C (86' tip to tip) for 80m, I removed the LL wires and installed a Tornado variable L center coil, replaced many loose element rivets with thru bolts, did a Yagi-Mech analysis and sleeved where it was going to fail at 65mph, replaced the crappy ABS center insulator with machined to fit split colored nylon, sleeved the center with FR4 rod, and installed Phillystran guys (4) to the former LL wire attach points to a stub mast and 6' cross arm 6' above the boom mounting plate (made a new HD one also).

Its now a 85 mph design without the element guys and so far so good at 102' high. More than full band coverage.

It's now been up 4 years, so far so good mechanically but do have a problem with the turns counter reed switch inside the Tornado. Haven't dug into this deeply yet. Using the MFJ1924 manual screwdriver driver with the 10 presets at 50KHz steps (it may be the problem with counting turns). Something bad happened when I went QRO way off tuned frequency. The 2:1 bw is about 75KHz.

If it has to come down for a reed switch fix, the plan is to reduce the Tornado L by placing some JKantenna plagerized high q coils just inside the element guy points. Then I would probably add a third element guy downward to the mast to prevent updraft failure per Dave Leeson's recommendation in his book. btw it is mounted above Dave's 40m Moxon scratch build design.

Grant KZ1W