Re: [TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 20:34:06 -0800
There is a resistance limit, which is equivalent to some length,
assuming you use Steppir's 22 gauge cable, but you don't have
to use their cable.  IIRC, it was something like 30 ohms, if
you have the higher voltage power supply that is a SteppIR
option.  Beyond that, SteppIR sells a remote kit that extends
the range to around 1000 feet.  I think the cable becomes
something like CAT-5 if you have that set up.

If you operate the controller with no cable at all connected
to it, it appears to operate correctly as far as you can
from the front panel.  It also operates correctly with a
cable connected that is within the resistance limits.  If
the cable resistance is too high, the controller shuts down.
I'm not sure this behavior is documented anywhere.

I used to have a 300 foot run which was barely within the limit.

Rick N6RK