Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods i

To: jimlux@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 06:35:51 -0600 (CST)
correct, on the time scales and current level of lightning the ionization of
the soil rules.  I could see a saturation effect being possible for DC, perhaps
in cases where you are using the soil return for a monopole DC transmission
line.  I would not expect it for AC.

Jan 10, 2016 05:28:23 PM, jimlux@earthlink.net wrote:

On 1/10/16 11:40 AM, David Robbins wrote:
> At lightning current densities and time scales the earth ionizes and rapidly
> increases its conductivity. See equations by Weck and others:
> http://www.ipstconf.org/papers/Proc_IPST2011/11IPST109.pdf
>
> Note in the graphs how the effective resistance of the ground decreases as
> the current increases.

Very interesting..
(and, of course, there's about a 3:1 difference among the various
models, which I'd sort of expect)

That paper and the references it cites will give me a fair amount of
reading.

However, I don't see any sort of "saturation" behavior: in fact, it's
more of a negative resistance (i.e. resistance goes down as current goes
up).