Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: The Need for Grounding

To: Edward McCann <edwmccann@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: The Need for Grounding
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 10:49:14 -0600
The important thing to remember is electricity doesn’t follow the shortest path
somewhere, it follows the path of least resistance. And it’s important to point
out that during a lightning event, that path is going to change, as the
lightning charge will easily overload a single rod, driving that rod’s
resistance sky high. Since the event is not yet over, the remaining charge will
follow the next-best path, which could be through your radio. Better it be
through the other rods in your network, no?

Is it useful to envision ground rods as resistors, and a chain of ground rods
as resistors in parallel?

Since we all know parallel resistors divide current among them, and as a group
present a resistance that is some fraction of their individual values, is it a
good meme to remind us of the importance of multiple rods?

73, kelly
ve4xt