Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 05:42:24 -0800
On 1/18/16 9:59 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
I was just wondering and no, I have no plans on changing my system: Yes,
I am serious.  The topic of UFER, ground rods and safety ground "systems".
Would those of us with good soil benefit from boring a 6, 8, or 10"
hole, filling it with concrete and sinking the ground rod in it?  The
contact area is small, but huge compared to the rod accompanied by a low
inductance.  It seems, at least in theory that the ground system could
be reduced in size (number of rods) while possibly increasing the
effectiveness of the system. A mini UFER ground system network. At
first, it sounds like a lot of effort and cost, but out in the country,
most of the equipment (Tractor mounted) is relatively common while those
in the city could put down a much more effective ground system. Compared
to the price of copper, particularly large copper , concrete is
relatively cheap.  From a practical approach, it'd be beyond many of us
for a number of reasons. Availability and cost of equipment.  In
addition, damage to the yard although temporary could be vetoed by a spouse

Interesting idea.. post hole augers are a pretty standard item.

I'll bet there's some literature out there about this.