Re: [TowerTalk] bentonite and substitutes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bentonite and substitutes
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:50:06 -0600
Epsom salts are available at Walmart or similar or drug stores or supermarkets in one pound or less containers.

Snow melt comes in 50 lb and smaller sizes and is sodium chloride, potassium chloride and sometimes other stuff and is a good conductivity enhancer.

Shelf life?  Bentonite has infinite shelf life when dry.
Pot life is how long it remains workable after mixing with water.

I have never mixed bentonite with cement so can't comment on that. I have seen granular Styrofoam mixed into concrete in place of aggregate and it produced fairly strong concrete patio tables and benches that when tossed into the swimming pool float indefinitely.

I put a few tons into a pond along its dam which leaks water underground (but I don't know where) and apparently missed "THE SPOT."

Patrick        NJ5G