Re: [TowerTalk] UFER Ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UFER Ground
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 07:17:00 -0600
Stan, seems like you are flood adverse. Are there cast beams or what under the block walls to carry the load into the columns/piers. The Ufer opportunity is of course the part of the piers extending below the surface. Depending on the area of the slab floor, the rebar in the floor might make a decent counterpoise if interconnected by low resistance means. This would not be just standard wire ties that hold rebar in place for a pour.

Rebar comes in more than one type. Typical rebar is not intended to be welded and if welded might break up under stress depending on the location of the weld. Weldable rebar is, of course, OK to weld. You can weld the non-weld type rebar if you do it in "non-structural" places, e.g. at the edges of the slab where the rebar runs past the second piece of rebar to which it would normally be tied.

The better approach is to use weldable rebar and at least tack weld all the rebar in the slab where two or more pieces touch. The rebar in the piers/columns should be welded to the horizontal rebar in the slab. This will give you a combination Ufer ground and counterpoise. If it were me I would tie the slab's rebar into the rebar in the walls and also ensure that the vertical and horizontal rebar in the walls was tacked for good electrical connection.

Typical construction practice is to NOT put rebar vertically in every cell of the blocks and similarly all cells are not grouted. In your case along with the 100% grouting of your block walls it would be good to have rebar in all the cells. With "standard" 8x8x16 blocks in a running bond beam pattern if you put rebar horizontally in every course and vertically in every cell you will have a grid of conductors (rebar) on 8 inch centers. Walls like this will add considerably to the counterpoise effect. The more counterpoise you have the less important RF ground becomes. Electrical safety and lightning ground is still a consideration.

With the rebar in your floor and walls tied to the aluminum roof you should get a good counterpoise effect and perhaps some shielding from external electrical noise. This is "flow of consciousness off the top of my head advice" and may not be perfect. Soon the experts will weigh in and correct any errors.

Patrick        NJ5G