[TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox
From: "James Denneny" <57jndenneny@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:59:09 -0800
The Hub City W300 gearbox on my US Tower 85 ft rotating mast appears to have
seized after 12 years.  Un fortunately the tower is at the 55 ft level and
will neither raise nor lower. Fortunately, it is at a safe height with
respect to wind.  Unfortunately, I am uncertain how to get it down to
repair/replace the gearbox. The lifting cable drum mounts on the gearbox
output shaft.  I cannot pull the gearbox as the cable drum system is what
keeps the tower from freefall. I do Have the tiltover fixture.  There is a
SteppIR DB-18E yagi at the top.  I am resisting bringing in a crane to
support the tower. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim K7EG