Re: [TowerTalk] Condensation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Condensation
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:45:02 -0500
I use NEMA boxes with gasketed doors. Cables leaving the box now go through either bulkhead connectors, or plastic fittings with compression glands (I forget the name of them) The conduit into the basement goes into a similar, but much smaller box with the same size conduit out the back and through the end plate under the floor and into the basement. The basement end is left open. The run from the tower goes through a sweep 90 and into another NEMA box. The conduit stub through the wall is sealed with expandable foam. I had been getting a surprisingly strong flow from the basement, through that sealed junction box and finally into the shop summer or winter. Even with that strong flow, condensation was never a problem. Nor was it a problem.

From that, I concluded in my installation that worry about condensation was not worth it, but as I said before, even were there water in the conduit I don't see a problem. Direct burial coax has a gel fill between the jacket and internal insulation, but that is there to stop water migration from damage caused from stones, or other causes, none of which are present inside conduit. A coax with a good jacket that stands up well in weather should have no problem with water in conduit. Gel filled coax is OK, but expensive overkill.

The run into the basement used to be 5" plastic sewer pipe in through the basement wall and open at both ends with a "Y" pointed down at the low end as a moisture trap and drain. The down stub was capped with tiny drain holes in the low spot in the cap. When the contractor replacing the septic tank caught a ground cable and pulled out a bunch of blocks in the basement wall, I went to the present system where the underground conduit is about 3 feet below the ends and has a vertical run into the boxes on both ends. Our "current" contractor then poured and dodder the entire basement wall as well as resealing the outside, adding 1" Styrofoam to the outside of those walls and installing new weep tile.

The basement wall work, old conduit, "Y", and new conduit installation are shown in http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm as well as the messenger cable in the box at the house. The installation of the run to the shop as well as the NEMA box at the tower are also shown.

 73,

Roger  (K8RI)