Re: [TowerTalk] Participating in a contest for the sake of dx?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Participating in a contest for the sake of dx?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 21:21:20 -0800
On Tue,2/9/2016 7:56 PM, Ray Day wrote:
In CW contests, my "sweet spot" is about 28-30 WPM. That's who I am (now).
I'd hope that the 35+ WPM folk don't curse me when I go slower than they do
and slow them down.

Hi Ray,

Guys going to those rare locations for contests are doing it to WIN. They want to average 3-4 QSOs per minute. They don't care if you send slower, or if you need a repeat, but they do care if you send stuff that slows them down.

Sure, many of us aren't able to work nearly that fast, for a lot of reasons. And when things aren't busy, almost any good contester will take the time to run a newbie through a contact, especially if the QSO gives them a multiplier. :)

What I've outlined is how contesting really works. Contesting IS more fun when you get good at it. Learning how to work this way makes you a better operator when called upon to do something in an emergency. The rules are essentially the same -- there's a disciplined and efficient way to do it.

These rules about never sending stuff the other guy has copied are very practical, especially if your signal is weak, because it makes the other station think he has your call wrong, or part of the exchange wrong. Again, it's good operating practice, not just a "rule" for contesters.

Example -- yesterday, I was trying to work 7P8C on 20M SSB, and I thought he was coming back to me, but there was QSB and I wasn't copying him well enough to make sure he had my call right. So I kept repeating my call until I was sure I had copied my call from him. Then I responded with "3x3 Thanks." We made the QSO, and clublog has it, so I know it's good.

73, Jim K9YC