[TowerTalk] Radial question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: "Jon Suehiro" <nn5t@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 03:57:07 -0000
A bit off the topic, but - I don't think have seen any discussion in the
subject --- ground radials.

I have Butternut HF2V (with 160/30 options) and placed approx 12 x 15'
ground screen around the vertical, and 35 x 15 ~ 40' gage #14 wires on the
ground at my city lot.

Completely defeated in 160 phone contest and felt like running through 30dB
ATT on 160 (estimated radiation efficiency of 5%).

Always the discussion is raised or on/in ground. I can place 4 x 65' radial
wires along the wood fence approx. 20 ~ 30" above ground (cannot place on
the ground) in addition to the current system.

1.     Can raised and on/in radials mixed ?

2.     If 2' above ground is too high as on/in ground, do they need to be
tuned or can be random length ?

Thanks.

NN5T Jon