[TowerTalk] 160M Antennas

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160M Antennas
From: Keith Hanson <ac9s@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 20:04:28 +0000
I have had success with a very simple 1/4 wave sloper fed from the top of the
tower - braid to tower and center conductor to the antenna.  I know it is
inefficient because it is broad banded, but I was able to hold a frequency for
hours in the last 160 SSB contest and normally do a pretty good job cracking
pile-ups into the Caribbean, EU and SA.  It is fairly noisy so I use separate
BOG receive antennas.  Diversity on the 6700 is sometimes very effective,
although kind of weird the way the signal appears to echo back and forth in my
obviously empty head.  The antenna is fed at the 90' level.  If you have the
height it is about the most inexpensive and simple way to get out on 160.   I
had an almost identical antenna at a previous QTH with almost identical results.

Keith

AC9S