Re: [TowerTalk] MASTS

To: Wilson <infomet@embarqmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MASTS
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:21:21 -0700

On 3/15/2016 10:46 AM, Wilson wrote:

I also use junk tubing from a kid’s swingset for Field Day.  It’s worked fine
for a decade or so.

Successful systems can be designed around most any components, as long as one
doesn’t try to do too much!
W4BOH

I have a 2 element SteppIR on a very light duty
40 foot high 10 inch aluminum tower using 1.5"
(actual OD 1.9") schedule 80 PVC conduit as a mast.
It's been up several years, through lots of storms.
Only a foot or two is above the top plate of the
tower.  No problem.  I really appreciate the
lighter weight vs iron water pipe.  I needed
a mast I could get immediately, as opposed to
ordering an aluminum mast.

Rick N6RK