Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed

To: Fred Sanborn <cc-6569@comcast.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:26:45 -0700
A513 grade Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tube has about 3/4 the yield stress of DXE's 4130, but is less than 1/3 the cost per pound.

You could paint it or get it hot dip galvanized, which costs about $0.55 per pound here. I would guess that N. Illinois has many steel suppliers with A513 inventory and multiple choices for galvanizers.

In terms of bending strength, its always better to increase the diameter than use a thicker wall.

If the mast calculators show A513 is strong enough, you can save a few bucks if you can manage the local logistics and are willing to do the work, but IMO the DXE mast is a pretty good deal shipped to your location.

Grant KZ1W