Re: [TowerTalk] BALUN revisited again

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BALUN revisited again
From: "Marsh Stewart" <marsh@ka5m.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:21:32 -0500
Patrick,

You might start with a 1:1 "balun" which is a common mode choke. There is no
impedance transformation. The purpose of the common mode choke is to prevent
the outside of the coax shield from becoming part of the antenna. In other
words, to "decouple" the transmission line from the antenna.

Here's where is gets a a little complicated, there is no single common mode
choke I know of that will be optimum for 40M through 6M. For suggestions on
ferrite cores and number of turns of RG58 or RG8X, take a look at page 36 of
Jim K9YC's excellent paper on this subject http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

I hope this helps.

73,
Marsh, KA5M