Re: [TowerTalk] Triplexer

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Triplexer
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:45:41 -0700
On 4/18/2016 8:06 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

##  I cant even begin to fathom the concept of a triplexer.   It must be
pretty complex, to be able to stuff  1.5 kw into  say 20 + 10M , and RX
on 15M !

Jim   VE7RF

This tutorial might be helpful so you can at least "fathom
the concept":

http://www.n6rk.com/diplexer/diplexer.pdf

This discusses diplexers.  However, the idea
is extensible to triplexers or quadplexers.
This theory has been known for around 60 years.
For further reading, see Wenzel's 1968 IEEE paper
(search the IEEE site or go to a college library).
I hope our European friends have read it!

I've designed diplexers for industrial RF plasma systems.
The power handling capability depends on a lot of
detailed engineering regarding circuit design, component
selection, and cooling design.  You can design for any
power level you want if you have the money, time and space.
Which is never unlimited, at least at the beginning.
Some of my clients have tried to take short cuts and
then their system goes up in smoke and they get to do
it over again.  Sometimes, they design for "typical" instead
of worst case.  Sometimes the design doesn't have enough
theory behind it.  Sometimes the design is OK but the
recipe gets lost on the production line.  If this stuff
were trivial, I wouldn't get consulting work to fix
it.  I don't have any specific knowledge of this
particular design, but the "now with cooling fan" sounds
very familiar.

Rick N6RK