Re: [TowerTalk] CMC-230-5K

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CMC-230-5K
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 02:58:05 -0400
I often ask, why purchase when building is easy,quick, and saves substantial cost.
This does not appear to be an item that would see wide use in industry.

OTOH, It takes little time to build one of these and they do not necessarily need to be in a box. I prefer, out-in-the-open if possible with this construction. It takes but a few minutes to wind two chokes and put them in series. Then it becomes a question of what is your time worth and do you need that much band width? In industry, the recharge rate can be inordinately high. My time per hour as a project manager was far higher than a tech. Still, depending on the corporation it may, or may not be cheaper to buy or build. If I, as a tech, even with a high recharge rate, have to consider the cost of ordering components Vs the completed item.. I have to figure my time in the field Versus going back to the stock room to get the parts,Vs planning ahead. Figuring the cost of the item installed Vs built on site can be a complicated issue.

Having been both a tech in my early days and a project manager until retirement after college, I was in a position where I had to evaluate those cost differences. Quite often, where time was a consideration AND we had techs with the skills, build on site was by far the cheapest when it came to completing on time. There were other times where buying was far cheaper.

As hams, we. are not normally in a position where those decisions are of any importance whether I figure my time is valuable or not. With chokes, I evaluate on-the-fly and build as I go. Ordering and waiting for a simple to build item is seldom worth purchasing. As I have an ample stock of parts, I can build, install, and use in the time it takes to go back to the shop and order, so the decision is an easy one to make as well as building for a quarter to a third the cost of purchasing. For me the same is true of BCD decoders and remote switch controllers.

OTOH since I lost the use of one hand, building is often not an option, except for simple objects like chokes.

73

Roger (K8RI)