Re: [TowerTalk] Reverse feed system...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reverse feed system...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 15:46:27 -0400
The term, "Reverse Feed" confuses me a bit.

As Gene said, wire is "usually" cheap and can often be reused.
I no longer solder wire antenna connections, but use Brass or Copper, Split Nuts. Unfortunately, in this area Copper wire may not be reusable if it's been up for a month or more. It gets a rough, black oxide that can make getting good connections with the split nuts difficult and impossible to solder. The best bet for when that happens is to dip a couple inches of the wire end into Muriatic acid to get a clean copper. Of course the wire then needs to be washed thoroughly to remove all traces of the acid.

NOTE: When using strong acids, use the appropriate safety gear. A partial list: Face shields, safety goggles, rubber gloves, and a good size bottle of Sodium Bicarbonate dissolved in water to neutralize any spills or drops on clothing or skin. Acid is dangerous!

I normally use hard drawn, stranded antenna wire as my center fed slopers are under enough tension that soft drawn wire (Romex) will stretch considerably.

73

Roger  (K8RI)