To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 160, Issue 81
From: "Mitch" <mskobier@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 20:33:15 -0700
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 22:11:00 -0400
From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>
To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lifting a mast off the rotator

I came home from Visalia to find my antenna system freewheeling. The mast
holds 4 yagis, one of which is very large, and is rotated by an Orion
rotator.
If my suspicions are correct, the problem is the little 1/4" bolt holding
the shaft up into the bottom of the mast clamp has loosened and allowed the
shaft to fall.

The tower is lowered and the antennas are tied off to a tree. I have removed
the mast clamp and now I have to raise the mast about 1/2" to free the
centering block so I can remove it to inspect that bolt.
I have a come along with an additional block with which I can lift the mast,
but the carabiner I have won't fit into the small space between the
centering block and the inside of the mast.

Any suggestions on a way to either hook the mast from the bottom or to clamp
to it so I can raise it? We're talking maybe 400 lbs in the complete antenna
system.
I have done this in the past but I think I didn't have the centering block
at that time so it was easier to get something hooked into the bottom of the
shaft.

Les W2LK

Les,
        An idea you may want to consider, is to make up a clamp the attaches
to the mast above the top bearing plate with a couple of nuts (for at least
1/2" bolts) welded to the ends so a set of long bolts can thread through
them and press against the top plate, lifting the mast in the process. I
probably did not explain it too well, but I think you should get the general
idea. With two bolts on either side of the mast, you can easily lift a very
heavy mast and antenna combo. The nice thing about this setup, is it holds
everything up until you are ready to lower it back down onto the rotator.
Anyway, something to consider.

Mitch KJ7JA