Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Install

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Install
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:25:50 -0400
Some of these have been answered and some scare me.
Read the Polyphaser pages. http://mobileers.com/main/getting-on-160/grounding-information/grounding-notes-by-polyphaser/ is a good place to start, but they have many pages.

I have the junction box mounted on the tower. ( http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm ) A 45G in my case. I use two sweep 45s in the conduit to reach over the concrete. Copper strap is best, but I used bare #2 copper cable as it was available locally.

The ground does not run in the conduit, but along side of it from the entrance panel, to the tower grounding system. One 8 or 10' ground rod at least 3' from the concrete for each tower leg (I believe 6' is better, but someone on here should have the proper distance. Use the info on the Polyphaser site). I have the 3 ground rods as the beginnings of a grounding run extending out about 75 to80 feet with ground rods every 16 feet. I believe common wisdom is to NOT ground the guy lines. I use non conductive guys (Phillystran) so that is not an issue.

Use the ROHN pages for tower ratings. 25G without guys is about 30 feet with a very small antenna. I would not put up a 25G without guys.

73

Roger (K8RI)